The timing of Murray’s situation is awkward as a group of more than 1200 tennis players and officials are currently taking chartered planes to Australia before they embark on a mandatory two-week period of hotel quarantine.
American Madison Keys also said on Thursday, US time, that she had tested positive for COVID-19 and would miss the Australian Open.
The world no.16 said she returned a positive result before she was due to travel to Australia and is now self-isolating at her home. “I’m very disappointed to not be able to play in the coming weeks after training hard in the off-season and knowing Tennis Australia and the tours did so much to make these events happen,” the 25-year-old tweeted.
Murray had received a wildcard from Australian Open organisers to participate in this year’s event, delayed by three weeks and starting at Melbourne Park on February 8.
Murray is a former world No.1 and three-time major champion who has slipped in the rankings in recent years following hip surgery.
After getting the wildcard, Murray pulled out of last week’s season-opening event in Florida, putting concerns about contracting COVID-19 ahead of getting more tournament time in before the Australian Open.