Police have confirmed “new information” has come to light about the 2014 disappearance of three-year-old William Tyrrell as strike force detectives revisited the location where he was last seen.
On Sunday, Homicide Squad’s Strike Force Rosann marked the seven-year anniversary of the disappearance of William Tyrrell by revisiting his foster grandmother’s home on the NSW mid-north coast.
“Further information has since come to light, as part of our ongoing review of the materials gathered by investigators since the moment William went missing seven years ago,” Strike Force Rosann Officer-in-Charge, Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw, said.
Police did not comment further as to what the new information was, but last week it was reported detectives had renewed their inquiries into a person of interest who had previously been dismissed.
Shortly before 10.30am on Friday September 12, 2014, William was playing in the yard of his grandmother’s home on Benaroon Drive, Kendall, when he vanished without a trace.
Emergency service workers, hundreds of residents and volunteers searched homes, forests, creeks and paddocks throughout rural Kendall but the boy could not be found.
Detectives and analysts from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad have been investigating William’s disappearance under Strike Force Rosann, and believe his disappearance was as a result of human intervention.
A statement released by William’s foster family on Sunday morning said his loved ones had “never given up hope” on finding him again, and made a heartwrenching plea for those involved in his disappearance to finally come forward.
“On the seventh anniversary of William’s disappearance, we ask of the person or persons involved; how much more heartbreak must be endured before you come forward,” the statement read.
“When you took William, you plunged our world into perpetual darkness. How long will you continue to make us suffer?
“When will you choose to come forward and end the nightmare we’ve endured every day for the past 2558 days since you took William from his happy life?”
Detectives are continuing to conduct interviews, searches and other investigative activity, including those under Coronial Orders, as well as reviewing all available materials with the assistance of various experts.
Chief Inspector Laidlaw said detectives returned to Kendall as part of their review into the circumstances surrounding William’s disappearance.
“The Strike Force Rosann team returned to Kendall with local detectives and specialist forensic officers to have another look at the residence where William was last seen, as well as other areas nearby,” chief inspector Laidlaw said.
“As our team continue to conduct inquiries and explore all avenues of investigation, our focus has been identifying if anything has been missed, or if there are any details – no matter how small – that need to be clarified.
“Police remain committed to finding out what happened to William, but our most important job here is to bring him home for both families.”
The $1 million NSW Government reward for information that leads to the recovery of William and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance, remains in place.